A lit candle in a resident’s apartment caused a fire to break out in the Bemis Block Apartments building

HARDWICK — A lit candle in a resident’s apartment caused a fire to break out in the Bemis Block Apartments building, located in downtown Hardwick on Wednesday morning. The sprinkler system immediately doused the fire which successfully prevented it from spreading throughout the building and endangering other residents. Area firefighters and emergency crews responded to the site quickly. Upon assessment of the scene, firefighters turned off the sprinkler system and remained on site.